Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Audio Round : Deep in the night


They say great quizzers,read a lot.They say great quizzers have special abilities to think laterally.They are supposed to think at the speed of light,and all that jazz.
Possibly for the first time ever,I will share a first hand account of a hair raising,no make it ear splitting,discovery,great quizzers snore like no other-I repeat,their snoring habits are monstrous to say the least.And here comes the account of the sonorous encounter with this unique breed-based on a true story.

The location:one of the older IIMs-the biz quiz that was being organised as a part of their annual fest.The usual mix of corporate and b school teams had thrown the top 6 teams from across the nation after 2 online and offline prelim rounds.This was going to be one of the coldest quizzes one had ever been to-and in possibly another historic first,the quiz got postponed by a day,thanks to the aircraft of the QM being unable to land in the city due to intense foggy conditions!

As luck would have it,our schedules,after much grumbling and growling had to be redrawn,and we had to put up for the night at the campus itself.Now for the characters' credentials.One of the teams boasted of one of the most feared names in the corporate business quizzing circuit-a Brand Equity national champion
himself.Partnering him,an erstwhile BT Acumen National champion and Tata Crucible national runners up.It wasn't all-there were 2 others who were BT
Acumen National champions too,and sandwiched in this gliterrati-the 2 of us,my happy Surd partner Karan,and myself.

Post dinnner,the usual round of banter began-the same sharing of own exploits around the nation,asking some real top draw questions-then scandals and rumours and latest updates from the world of quizzing-the quintessential chat that typifies quizzers as 'nerds' in the eyes of bystanders.Karan had to leave around midnight,to accompany his 2 other classmates in another event he was participating in.The cold refused to relent,and the rest of us decided it was time to crawl into the warm shelter of the cosy blankets of the room.

10 minutes pass by.I sit bolt upright with a start.The BT Acumen champion beside me grunts like the world is coming to an end,in between each of his very
lengthy pauses of snores-the Brand Equity National Champion shows his true mettle.Not to be left a single inch behind,he follows each of the
former's snores with 3 of his own.And with increasing decibel levels.
I turn around,eyes wide open,hoping that the other 2 on the apparently silent side are the quiet on the buzzer kinda folks.Ha!Man proposes and the quizzing God disposes with style.The two team mates,eject the loudest snore I have ever heard almost in exact unison-as if they were going for the buzzer on the last question for the National title.

I try not to give up-tossing sides,from the Brand equity champ to the Crucible runners up to the BT Acumen champions' pair-but to no avail.To add to my predicament,it was too cold outside to venture out to escape the torture my ears were being subjected to.I silently curse Karan-that he was not audience to this masterful cacophony of sorts.At one point I begin to secretly desire to snore like them too,even if I never match their quizzing abilities myself.

I check my watch,it's 3 in the morning-i cannot believe I have spent 180 minutes amidst the most horrendous orchestra ever imaginable to mankind.
About 15 minutes later,the door is creaked open,Karan strides in,and the shock and awe-filled silent 'Duddddddddde!' shout from him fetches the first smile
on my face in about 3 hours.I close my eyes in peace,the 4 different grunts and Karan's mumbled abuses almost like the 9th symphony in B minor :P

Peace.

No comments: